Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Racist Anecdote of John McCain 2008 : "John McCain had agonized to the point of paralysis over how to appeal to Hispanics without alienating the Republican base of older Anglos" - “McCain would tell me, I want to have behind me many Hispanic-looking faces at this press conference"

.



POLITICO.COM
Hispanic Republicans of Texas
By Ben Smith
May 03, 2011

Hispanic Republicans of Texas

Some excerpts :

For a glimpse of the woes -- and promise -- of Republican efforts to rebuild their Hispanic support, check out this Texas Observer profile of Juan Hernandez, who ran McCain's Hispanic outreach and now heads a new Texas PAC with George P. Bush, Hispanic Republicans of Texas.

The piece has some remarkable '08 anecdotes, including this one:

Since McCain had asked Hernandez to lead his Hispanic outreach, the campaign had agonized to the point of paralysis over how to appeal to Hispanics without alienating the Republican base of older Anglos. “McCain would tell me, I want to have behind me many Hispanic-looking faces at this press conference,” Hernandez recalls. “So I would call and have 10, 12 women, men, doctors, nurses, laborers, and they would be invited and then not be put in the photograph. Instead there would only be white males over 50 in the photograph, and this would happen over and over again.”
.

No comments:

Post a Comment