Sunday, July 29, 2012

VIDEO, my name is Kimberly Burnham PHD Mormon Lesbian, As a 5th generation Mormon, I believe Mitt Romney means well but simply doesn't have the compassionate heart or understanding mind to see how his words and actions affect his American neighbors

.
Suicide and Anxiety are specially prevalent and intense in the Mormon Community and in America are a grave problem : Mitt Romney with his lack of compassion and understanding for others is adding deadly fuel to the inner conflicts within bright and fallible minds.


 Published on Jul 28, 2012 by KimBurnham1

Mitt, It Gets Worse

Hey my name is Kimberly Burnham.

As a 5th generation Mormon, I believe Mitt Romney means well but simply doesn't have the compassionate heart or understanding mind to see how his words and actions affect his American neighbors.

Mitt Romney and I share ties to the Mormon community and I know that not all Mormons show the utter lack of compassionate leadership that he does. Were Romney to be elected, suicide rates in the Mormon community and in the United States would go up.

Seventy-four percent of lesbian and gay students at Mormon owned Brigham Young University have considered suicide. Some have so much inner struggle between religious upbringing and sexuality that they think, "better if my parents find me dead, than find me gay." This is the sentiment expressed on the It Gets Better at Brigham Young University YouTube video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0jXg-hKCI

At my core, I understand these feelings. At twenty-one years old, in 1980, I was serving as a Mormon missionary in Japan. After the requisite year and a half of missionary service, I returned to Brigham Young University to complete my Bachelor's degree. There, in 1981, I fell in love with a woman.

I am a lesbian and - the descendant of Mormon polygamist who in 1890 gave up a structure of family life in order for Utah to become a state. I am an American and can vote because my ancestors were forced gave up a way of life that seemed normal to them.

A hundred and twenty-two years later, Mitt Romney thinks his beliefs and views are the only ones that matter. For him as a private citizen that is true but the President of the United States has to take the good of all of us into account.

The Princeton Review notes that Brigham Young University is consistently ranked one of the most unfriendly campuses for LGBT students in the United States. Mitt Romney is leading the charge, making the United States more hostile for her citizens. We already live in a country where gay and lesbian teens are five times more likely to commit suicide than their heterosexual peers.

And stress, anxiety and inner conflict are at an all time high. Eight million Americans have autoimmune diseases, characterized by self against self.

If today is an average day in the world, 2000 people will die at their own hand from the conflicts that rages within. Mitt Romney is adding deadly fuel to the conflicts within bright and valuable voices in this country. We are Mitt Romney's neighbors, some - a part of a very similar community and some part of very different communities but all American's, all of us deserve to be seen and appreciated by skilled, knowledgeable and compassionate leaders.


Mitt Gets Worse: Kimberly Burnham PhD Mormon Lesbian.wmv 





***************************

No comments:

Post a Comment